avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Possibility for a light weight Phoenix container
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:01:44 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:07, Terry Laurenzo wrote:
> To this end, I spent about two days digging into the bowels of Phoenix and
> building such functionality. First, I built a SimpleAppEmbeddor class that
> is primarily configured with a Configuration for the assembly and a
> Configuration for the block configurations (just like what would normally
> exist in the SAR). It leaves out most of the ClassLoader, logging and
> instrumentation (although instrumentation could be reenabled by including
> the right components in the primordial ServiceManager that is used to
> initialize the kernel). I then built a new PhoenixServlet that will load a
> Phoenix application and store a ServiceManager representing all of the
> components it contains into the Servlet context so that all servlets in the
> web app have access to it.

nice! I would love to see it.

> I know that some of what I am proposing is counter to the goals of Phoenix

nah. Just not a priority ;)

> the container, but I think that Phoenix the embedded component has
> different goals. The goals in this situation are to be as light-weight as
> possible and expose the core Phoenix functionality within applications that
> have been built apart from Phoenix. There is a lot of useful stuff in
> Phoenix that makes development so much easier. I would just like to make
> these core features useful to everyone instead of being restricted to those
> who have the luxury of building things from the ground up.

ok.

> So, my proposal is to begin defining such a set of components to be
> formally included within Phoenix instead of being developed as an add-on.
> Currently, the add-on approach is difficult because the Phoenix source code
> is in such a state of flux.
>
> Am I out in left field here or does anyone else have interest in such a
> thing?

I like the idea and more than happy to put in some effort in maintaining it
(or even helping you develope it). I probably wont be using it (at least not
initially) so I will have to rely on you to give feeedback on design etc.

If we do this I would want the interface used to embed the container to be
fairly stable and extensible. In which case we will need to do a fair chunk
of unit testing and probably play with a few designs.

Anyways I would love to see what you have for a start and then we can go from
there. Feel free to chuck stuff in our new Issue tracker to make sure it
doesn't get lost.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald