avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: newbie question. Load-balancing/Failover in Avalon/Phoneix?
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:40:51 GMT
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:13, sadaf zargeen wrote:
> Is there any plans to make Avalon/Phoneix Fault
> tolerant or build loading-balancing into it or is that
> too application specific to be part of the framework.

That is usually application/domain specific though we have talked about
implementing it before. Any ideas?

> I can forsee hot stand-by situation needed where one
> instance of application (with all of its components)
> upon failure would fail over to another running
> instance of Phonenix.    Or the high load on one
> application can be balanced across multiple running
> Avalon/Phoneix instances with proper sharing of
> session information for seamless
> load-balance/fail-over.

The problems is defining "load" - given that it is relatively impossible to
define generically we would need to define some mechanism for application to
expose this and fail conditions. And then another monitor application detects
these status and reacts as appropriate. We already have support for this via
JMX but no one has really gone deep into that level of control yet.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald