avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Source and Binary for FtpServer
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:01:32 GMT
> >I am fairly sure this can go. I've looked into it before.
> >

> This is good news!
>
> My immediate feeling is that we should not do anything suddenly
> concerning FTP.  Instead - at least what's circulating in my mind - is
> to take care of the underlying components first.  As you known there is
> already independent component builds for some of the blocks in
> Cornerstone - but this probably needs some more restructuring.  The
> independent block builds are largely driven by the James dependencies.
> The FTP app introduces additional dependencies that we should perhaps
> address as part of the release plan.  If we can get to a point where we
> have the FTP app building against release blocks then I would be much
> more comfortable thinking about a possible home and ensuring that the
> relationships between the FTP app and cornerstone and well defined and
> maintainable.
>
> Does this make sense?

I really sorry, but I've read it a couple of times and it does not make a lot of sense.

FtpServer works now. It does use Cornerstone, and will move with Cornerstone if/when Cornerstone
gets morphed into a set of smaller jars. It does need to eb less dependant on BlockContext
(given
we've chosen that model). I saw that as a no-promemo proposition, with a simple move to the
lookup
key form, There could be an extension of the block which is shutdown capable if that's needed.

Given we've also chosen to shove stuff out of Avalon to reduce to A-F, demo apps, comps and
a few
ref containers, it seems entirely appropriate to move this to incubator or other. Rana (and
to a
lesser extent I) have put a lot of work into this and would love to see it go to a place where
it
gets more attention. This is really good stuff and should not hide amongst demos.

Regards,

- Paul