avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:04:34 GMT
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:51, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > The main call against that is that it is not what everyone else uses or
> > supports.
>
> Are you getting shy at forking projects for elegance's sake, I can't
> believe it :)

Of course not :) It is just way too massive an undertaking. XDoclet / qdox /
vdoclet have already put many man years into development so I want to reuse
their stuff.

> > People have already developed parsers, validators, editors and heaps of
> > other tools to work with these formats which is not something we can even
> > get close to getting as comprehensive support for a custom format.
>
> Oh, please, that's not an argument.

sure its is ... or to put it another way - Are you volunteering? :)

> > Add in the fact that JSR175 will probably use javadoc based metadata and
> > I don't think there is support for a custom format.
>
> This is a totally different argument. Can you outline here how the
> metadata concept is going to work for JSR 175? would that require a JVM
> change?

The JSR has not been made public but from the grapevine heres the scoop. The
metadata will be store in .class file as "class attributes". So it will not
require a JVM change but the utility files to load the metadata will be in
the next JVM. However that does not stop us developing our own loader that
parses the the .class files using BCEL.

However from what I understand that the metadata will be extracted from
javadocs. A few different proposals have been made but I am not sure what
they will pick. Some proposals IIRC are

@meta Fortress{lifecycle="ThreadSafe"}
@fortress lifecycle="ThreadSafe"
@meta org.apache.avalon.fortress.FortressMetaData("ThreadSafe")

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user-friendly. It   |
| just happens to be selective on who it makes friendship |
| with.                                                   |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |