avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: avalon-excalibur/io/src/xdocs index.xml menu.xml
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:44:06 GMT
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:40, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote, On 11/03/2003 22.15:
>
> > ...backward incompatible
> > changes are all the rage in AValon these days. Supporting users is sooo
> > yesterday.
>
> It's not.
>
> We will support users as much as we can. We've said it before, we say it
> again. Any incompatible change made was completely unintentional.

"saying" != "doing"

> To catch these early (yes, Gump should be our *last* resort), we should
> have unit tests running regularly on the classes; they would have
> probably caught these signature changes.

doubtful their signatures would have just been updated at the same time.
Besides how many people actually run the unit tests - given the number of
"stable" packages that have/had unit tests that fail I don't think there is a
lot.

> What do you all think should be our unit test policy?

100% coverage and 100% passing for toolkits or as close to as possible. ie an
example of good quality would be
http://spice.sourceforge.net/configkit/clover/index.html

For integration components and containers we probably can't reasonably as
stringent but should aim for high quality rather than this lets just change
something and hope it compiles ... let alone works policy that is now in
place.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we
cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our
responsibilities." -Josiah Stamp