avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject [Phoenix] Incompatible Changes to ClassLoader contents
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:51:53 GMT
Hi,

For a while now we have been having versioning problems when applications use
different versions of libraries than the Phoenix kernel does. So every
application that relied on jars in the $PHOENIX_HOME/lib directory was
potentially going to have issues when versions of products changed.

To combat this I have moved the majority of the jars into the container
specific classloader. This means that the jars that were previously part of
base classloader of both the applications and kernel have been reduced and
thus you will no longer get as many versioning problems. You can have each
application use different version jars from each other and from the kernel.

Specifically the following jars are no longer accessible to application by
default;

excalibur-thread
excalibur-threadcontext
excalibur-pool
excalibur-collections
excalibur-instrument
excalibur-logger
excalibur-util
excalibur-extension
excalibur-concurrent

Unfortunately this is not backwards compatible and any application that has a
dependency on any of those jars must now include the jar in the .sar file.

However I think this is a small price to pay because it will limit versioning
problems in the future.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald