avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject [Phoenix] Breaking apart environment.xml
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 10:15:30 GMT

While writing the last email an old thought came back to me. Currently we
store all sorts of stuff in environment.xml like policy definition,
classloader definition, logging definition etc. And in the future it is
conceivable that we will be including things like interceptor definitions,
management declarations etc.

So what I was thinking is that we could break each aspect out into a separate
file. At the moment that would mean files such as

We could do it in a backwards compatabile fashion by first scanning
environment.xml before looking for new config files. In most applications
these configuration files can simply be ommitted and default values will be
supplied (much like is done now). So no need to specify
SAR-INF/classloaders.xml or SAR-INF/policy.xml unless you really want to
define them.

The advantages of this approach is that the configuration files become much
much easier to validate using Schemas/DTDs as the config files are not mixed.
It is also more future proof as we can simply add new config files as we need
them if a new aspect warrants it.

I can't see any disadvantages except that it is a change. However if we
support the old format for a year or more we should not disrupt any users ...
hopefully ;)

Peter Donald
| Those who know how to think need no teachers.  |
|                                      - Gandhi  |