avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject [phoenix] Natural Log4j/JDK1.4 Logging config
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:57:24 GMT
Hi,

Ages ago (a year or two?) we decided that we wanted to separate out logging
configuration from environment.xml - is this still desired? The reason is
that I am currently documenting this and want to finalize the implementation
prior to doccing it.

The idea was to do something like

SAR-INF/assembly.xml
SAR-INF/config.xml
SAR-INF/environment.xml
SAR-INF/logging.xml

and SAR-INF/logging.xml contains all the configuration for logging. I think it
is just a case of no one getting around to doing it. This was just after
Giacomo wrote the excalibur-logger package and we wanted to harmonize between
Cocoon and Phoenix in this aspect.

However I now have another motivation to do this. Several people have asked
for support for log4j or native JDK1.4 logging configuration formats. So if
we went the above way we could separate out logging we could search for
configurations in the following order;

SAR-INF/environment.xml (for backwards compatability)
SAR-INF/logging.xml (excalibur logger)
SAR-INF/log4j.xml (log4j xml format)
SAR-INF/log4j.properties (log4j properties format)
SAR-INF/log.properties (JDK1.4 format)

That way people who want to use Log4j config files can do it easily.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald