avalon-dev mailing list archives

From dvilleval...@phpapp.org
Subject Lifecycle extension lifecycle order?? Was: avalon-excalibur/lifecycle/src
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:36:58 GMT
Hi all,

Your discussion remind me something that seems very important to me about
lifecycle extension.

As i see the two lifecycle extension interfaces, there is no mean to impose a
specific order while applying the extensions. This means that a lifecycle
extension provider has no mean to tell the lifecycle extension manager when it
must be applied relatively (in time) to other extensions during a specified stage.

(Example : Serviceable.service() before Initializable.initialize() even if they
are at the same stage.)

I think the combination of lifecycle extensions is a use case we must think
about. For example in an attempt to implement core avalon lifecycle with the
lifecycle extension mechanism you will need this kind of ordering specification.

I would think the resolution of the order as a kind of incremental ordering
while extensions are discovered (at the container *boot* time). This may be
compared to the serialization of the order of some modules' compilation based on
their respective dependencies.

To conclude, i personally think the lifecycle extension mechanism needs to be
more thought, even if i find it usefull and the portability it can provide for
containers very attractive.

Cheers,
A+. Didier.