avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject Spice Dependency (was: RE: Spice License)
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:42:57 GMT

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]

Regarding the license, I think Ken Coar pretty much settled that
point.

> > And I don't think having Spice as a dependency is any good.

> Any reason why? We have plenty of other external dependencies and at
least
> spice is quality controlled.

 1. Because the Avalon project voted that we should migrate to
    Commons CLI and not Spice CLI. A more constructive approach
    would have been for you to explain the problems with Commons CLI
    and then ket us help you resolve them instead of going off
    by yourself 90 degrees from the voted and decided path.

 2. Situations like this are bound to happen again. What are you
    going to do then? Bring in even more Spice dependencies?
    Do you realize that you might as well move all of Phoenix
    to Spice now and be done with it? Having a fork *now* would
    be prefereable to the slow Spice-ification of Phoenix in
    Avalon CVS, because by the end of it, Avalon no longer has
    control of Phoenix - it will have been, in effect, a Spice
    project hosted at Apache. I don't even want to go into the
    troubles that will lead to.

PS: Do I get to call you "Smarty Spice" or "Scary Spice" now?

/LS