avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - excalibur-xmlutil
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:58:48 GMT
(GUMP awareness tutorial part 1 :D)

Interesting to see what happens here as a case study. Carsten updates
the xmlutil stuff based on developments in cocoon. He adds a cvs
snapshot jar to CVS, probably runs a few ant tests to ensure things
work, then commits. Regardless of the fact that it is not a good idea to
have jars in CVS (fix in development :D), and that Carsten doesn't know
that the excalibur build system expect you to modify
${subproject}/default.properties when you add a new dependency, gump is
not told about the change, so it complains and xmlutil fails to build.

This is a prereq failure for xml-cocoon2 (not the only one at this
point, but it could've been), resulting in cocoon not building, and
blocks depending on cocoon core also failing, and stuff like forrest
also failing.

I think it's important that all committers working on a project realize
when they need to update the gump descriptors. In this case, the fix is
to add

          <depend project="xml-commons-resolver"/>

to the project

     <project name="excalibur-xmlutil">

in

jakarta-gump/project/avalon-excalibur.xml

(which I've just done, and which is something people like Sam silently
do for lots of projects whose committers don't maintain the gump
descriptors very well). This is a common, simple rule: whenever you
import a dependency into a project in one way or another, you need to
also add this dependency information to the gump descriptor (and then
always run 'ant gen' in the jakarta-gump base directory, and commit the
change if there's no errors in the output).

Another common reason why you need to update the gump descriptor is when
source trees or build trees are moved around or reformatted, or even
entire projects. For example, the excalibur-meta project was moved to
avalon-sandbox some time ago, but no-one (should've been me as I moved
it) updated the avalon-excalibur buildfile to know about this, so this
resulted in errors still popping up 2 months after the cvs
restructuring! Another example is when a project not built by gump is
defined by referencing a jarfile, and the name of the jarfile changes.

For example, jakarta-gump/project/xml-cocoon2.xml defines

   <project name="maybeupload">
     <url href="http://www.weft.co.uk/library/maybeupload/"/>
     <package>uk.co.weft.maybeupload</package>
     <description>
       Upload files from Java Servlets
     </description>
     <home nested="lib/optional"/>
     <jar name="maybeupload_1-0-5pre3.jar"/>
   </project>

but the referenced jar
xml-cocoon2/lib/optional/maybeupload_1-0-5pre3.jar no longer exists
(Stefano removed it two days ago). GUMP reports this is a "prereq
failure" for cocoon (so the limited <nag/> tags defined in
xml-cocoon2.xml don't result in a complaint message to the cocoon
mailing list), when in fact the project definition for maybeupload is
now wrong.

gotta go now,

cheers,

- Leo

Gump Integration Build wrote:
> compile:
>     [mkdir] Created dir: /home/rubys/jakarta/avalon-excalibur/xmlutil/build/classes
>     [javac] Compiling 34 source files to /home/rubys/jakarta/avalon-excalibur/xmlutil/build/classes
>     [javac] /home/rubys/jakarta/avalon-excalibur/xmlutil/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/xml/DefaultEntityResolver.java:70:
package org.apache.xml.resolver does not exist