avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thinking ahead... and a proposal
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:24:20 GMT
Robert McIntosh wrote:
> My first thought it to have a
> Monitor component watch the config file(s) for changes and then follow
> this process:
>
> 1. read in the configs
> 2. see if the config for a particular component has changed (see
> proposal below)
> 3. if it has, then initiate a reconfigure. This may require doing a
> suspend, stop, etc. first (correct?)
> 3a. Reconfigure the service, then 'restart' it.
> 3b. If the service doesn't implement reconfigure, create a new one and
> replace the old one

the current apps I know use 3b) all the time. Works pretty well :D

> Sound about right?

workable, at least. "right" depends on your app, so I can't comment :D

> On the proposal, to make this happen for the config, I'm thinking of
> implementing the equals() method on the default configuration object and
> have it do a deep equals check.

if you know you'll always be working with config files, it is probably
best to simply monitor those files for changes (ie poll modification dates).

> This would probably mean having an
> equals() method exposed in the Configuraiton interface as well, no?

uhm, equals() in in java.lang.Object, so it doesn't need to be in any
interface. Or am I missing something?

cheers,

- Leo