avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maven-style repository for avalon stuff?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:16:47 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> In article <b30m7c$ofl$1@main.gmane.org>, "Leo Simons"
> <leosimons@apache.org> wrote:

>>so would it make sense to have http://avalon.apache.org/repository
>>contain the avalon jars & dists? It is probably easy as hell for the
>>maven peeps to do a
>>
>>     ssh daedalus.apache.org
>>     cd /www/avalon.apache.org/repository
>>     scp -r * wherever_it_goes_on_ibiblio
>>
>>on request, so that ibiblio can remain the primary point of
>>distribution.
>
> Please note that the Board wants to see ASF-operated hardware as the
> only, definitive point of distribution. Other sites are free to
> *re*distribute, but the primary point should be from an ASF box.

acked. Any kind of avalon-hosted maven repository would in fact be a
secondary point distribution of stuff @ www.apache.org/dist, and ibiblio
  would be a ternary distribution point.

>>All this just temporarily until the infrastructure peeps
>>and the peeps looking at a common repository hammer out something more
>>solid.
>
> Maybe this statement is that you see ibibilio as temporary?

ibiblio temporary? Nah....they're running strong as far as I know :D

> Not sure how
> to read it, but non-ASF-box distribution should be considered a bug to fix
> asap, rather than a temporary solution.

note all ASF-created binaries distributed from www.ibiblio.org/maven/
are indeed available from an apache box as well. The ibiblio repository
is merely redistribution (in a slightly different form).

Here's the usecase: it makes a lot of sense to have a central location
where java jars are provided in a machine-readable/findable fashion so
that tools like maven and centipede can find them and do auto-install.
Like with apt, rpm, CPAN, etc etc.

My statement was an acknowledgement of this usecase and a suggestion for
a braindead setup to accommodate it. The "temporary" nature is in that I
hope that the ASF distribution setup will change to accomodate this
usecase in a more solid way (I know I know...do it yourself....)

> The ASF shouldn't participate or
> condone actions or policies which (potentially) violate software
> licenses.

+1, but that's not what I was talking about at all.

cheers!

- Leo