avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Change Strategy (was Re: [VOTE] Instrument package into Framework namespace)
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:45:52 GMT
Berin,

You asked for comments on change strategy.  I wasn't addressing a particular
case, e.g., Instrument packaging, in my reply to you.  I was giving a broad
overview of thoughts on what is and is not OK to do.

If you want an example, fine, but the specifics aren't as important as the
approach.  One example of classes that are either removed or intended to be
removed are the file repositories that Peter Donald (surname to qualify the
overloaded reference) asked James to pull into our module because they
weren't (and wouldn't be) supported by Avalon.  As an instance, it is no big
deal.  We're happy to support them.  As a philosophy, it points to caution
that you had better be prepared to support things before you make them part
of your release.

Likewise, I wasn't saying that you wouldn't properly handle migrating from
an Avalon package to a Commons package.  I was just outlining some issues
related to a Change Strategy, as you had asked.

	--- Noel