avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Schaible, Jörg" <Joerg.Schai...@gft.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] avalon-meta javadocs
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:13:20 GMT
Hi Steve,

> >here is a patch for my proposed support for -linkoffline.
> Since I noticed lately a problem with attachments on this
> list, I post the contents here. My solution is to use
> linkoffline always and provide for both URLs the same value
> by default. This should work, but I cannot verify this.
> Therefore my patch currently covers only avalon-meta. Please
> give feedback. If anything works I will send patches for the
> other modules, too.
>
> Have just updating things here but the result seems inconsistent. I'm
> getting the hrefs for the Avalon framework but the links
> themselves seem
> broken. Also no links are showing up for the JDK classes.
> Anyway - I've
> committed what you sent because I think this is the right way
> to go (if
> we can sort this out then great otherwise is easily to roll
> it back to
> prior state).

my results are somewhat different, but not really working either. For the JDK references I
get e.g. for Object this beast: file:///C:/Work/CVS/avalon-sandbox/meta/build/docs/api/http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html,
while the Avalon link give me something like file:///C:/Work/CVS/avalon-sandbox/meta/build/docs/avalon/docs/api/org/apache/avalon/framework/logger/AbstractLogEnabled.html
which is not correct either :(

I searched the Java Bug DB, but although there are some existing bugs concerning external
links, none of them show this symptoms (Ant seems to set the arguments properly). Additionally
the javadoc task seems to omit a link element, if offline is set to true and the two URLs
reference the same location. As alternative you might be able to set the proxy using -J-DproxyHost
and -J-DproxyHome for the javadoc call, but this is not supported by the ant task either.

For the Avalon cross-links I have now currently set the doc.root in avalon-sandbox/default.properties
to "../../..", because Ant is checking the existence of path. Unfortunately javadoc runs in
another working directory, therefore I set the href of the link element now to "../../${avalon.api.link}".

Bottom line:
There is currently no working solution for offline links.

Issues:
1) The offline attribute link element of the javadoc task should be set if an offline link
exists
2) The -linkoffline option for javadoc generates with 1.4.1_01 wrong references. Some bug
fixes have been done in this area for upcoming J2SE 1.4.2.
3) Handling of the links to external *Avalon* packages not defined.

:(

Regards,
Jörg