avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Steuck <greg-avalon-...@nest.cx>
Subject excalibur datasource: PreparedStatement caching
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 05:47:34 GMT

    Peter> Thats fine. My only suggestion would be to also implement a
    Peter> prepared statement cache so if the same prepared statement
    Peter> was asked for again, just return the existing instance :)

I feel this feature is on a different level. We will need to have a map
of released (closed) PreparedStatements associated with each connection.
The PreparedStatements will be wrapped into a decorator that intercepts
close() and returns the statements into the map (closing any pending
ResultSets first). I don't think that a PreparedStatement can be reused
until the original caller disposes of it.

IMHO, the benefit of such cache is not obvious and I would much rather
defer this kind of caching to the database vendor JDBC implementation.