avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject an approach to framework 4.1.4 packaging
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:58:44 GMT

Have been thinking about how to handle the packaging of 4.1.4.  In an
earlier email I suggested that this could be done with some fine grain
manipulation in the buildfile.  While that is possible - it is also an
approach that can easily lead to errors due to the non-inclusion of a
file in a jar because a buildfile was not updated.

My current thinking is that we should split the avalon project into a
'common', 'spec' and 'impl' project.  The spec and impl project would
simply handle the compilation and jar creation and the common avalon
project build would pull in these resources as part of an overall dist
and doc generation focus.

I.e. - repacking the avalon CVS project as follows

  avalon
   -- avalon-common
     - build.xml <-- includes dist target and import of spec and impl jars
     - src/documentation
     - src/xdocs
     - tools
   -- avalon-spec
     - build.xml <-- compile and jar the spec project
     - src/java  <-- interfaces and self contained classes
   -- avalon-impl
     - lib
     - build.xml <-- compile and jar the impl project
     - src/java  <-- general implementation classes

If this sounds reasonable I would like to recruit some help from someone
who can "manipulate" the file system to create the copies of the current
tree under a avalon-common, avalon-spec and avalon-impl.  I can then dig
into seperating what is in each without loosing CVS info.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell