avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Avalon Framework 4.1.4 RC 3
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:20:47 GMT

Peter Royal wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 01:06  AM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Wrapper classes (major)
>> -----------------------
>>
>> The wrapper classes that that exist in framework are broken.  The
>> WrapperComponentManager takes a ServiceManager as a constructor argument
>> and when lookup invocations are made against the wrapper, the wrapper
>> returns Component instance "if and only if the object returned from a
>> lookup on the service manager is an instance of Component".  The wrapper
>> makes no attempt to proxy an Object as a Component.
>

> I have no problem with the wrappers the way they are. What you mention
> is indeed a limitation, but they have known deterministic behavior. We
> can create another project with proxying wrappers as you suggest if
> needed.
> -pete

Pete:

Not sure what you use-case is - but my understanding of the purpose of
these classes is to aid migration from CM -> SM.  This means existing
clients that implement Composable would be supplied with a
WrapperComponentManager.  As different components move from CM to SM,
they are going to appear as non-Component components - and with the
current implementation - it will fail.  I don't think this is a very
satisfactory solution because the behavior of the wrapper will be
inconsistent with the behavior of a DefaultComponentManager or any other
ComponentManager implementation.

Do you have a problem with these classes moving out of the framework and
into a seperate jar?  At least if we do that we can make sure we have a
complete migration solution.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell