avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC:VOTE] Release LogKit 1.2 Release Candidate 6
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:47:12 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> There is no need to get so angry over it; moreover you seem to be the
> only one to take it this way.
>
> If it bugs you so much, then you are invited to fix it.
> But please stop this ranting, it's just filling this list with negative
> energy, and I don' tthink we need it, no?

Sorry to drop in on this, but... I've been following this conversation
from the beginning and it has left "a very unpleasant taste in my mouth"...

I figured that after solving all these community issues, there is at
least some degree of mutual respect present... If that would be the
case, either Berin as a release manager or why not you, Nicola, would
have suggested Stephen to commit his changes much sooner... Or actually,
I wonder, why Stephen needed an invitation in the first place to commit
this... it's a freakin' CVS anyway... if the change seems bad, it is
always possible to revert it...

Anyway, instead of arguing and complaining for several days, someone
(and that someone could have been Stephen himself as well) should have
gone ahead and fixed the issue on the same day as it was brought up. As
Stephen pointed out, it only 5 minutes afterall...

And, when it comes to the arguments if anything should be released with
a proper manifest or not... I have understood that Avalon is not only
about the framework, it is also about promoting well-behaved components,
etc... so, if it is a really easy fix (and it is) then it should be
fixed, no matter how many users currently find it usable (the same JAR
could stay around for a long time still).
If we ourselves cannot get this act together to make our releases
well-behaved, then who are we to promote this well-behavedness in the
first place...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it...

Rgds,
Neeme