avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Robert McIntosh <rob...@bull-enterprises.com>
Subject Re: Log wars #23 [ was [VOTE] CommonsLogger.java]
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:10:29 GMT

>>> The fact is not that static accessors solve a need, a *real* need,
>>> that is access to a logger for fine-grained components with big
>>> hierarchies.
>>> If we solve the need in another way, static accessors may not be
>>> needed.
>>

>> Logging is a want not a need in most cases :-)
>

> Ok, it's called "logging" but it's more "tracing".
>
> Oversimlpifying, Logging should be that thing that records what
> happens in an app at runtime in a *deployed* environment.
> Tracing does it at debug-time. No user of POI would ever care about
> what POI "logs".
>
> Only the "service" part of POI should log, and that's not many
> classes, so IOC can be used nicely.
>
> That's why I'm interested in your approach :-)

I've followed this on both lists and I have to agree with both in
certain circumstances. I admit that in my code I have a lot of static
instances of loggers, mostly for debug purposes and that in some cases a
setLogger() method isn't practical. However there are uses for 'tracing'
beyond just the component writers debugging needs. In our product for
example, we allow and end user to turn on the logging to see what is
going on so that they can debug their portion of the app, namely what
goes into the config file.  So while 'real' logging probably happens at
the service level 95% of the time, it is useful at the low level as well.

Having said that, I did start out using LogEnabled and such in our
current version of our code, but slowly got rid of it because it seemed
a pain at the time of having to maintain two logging configs. Maybe it
isn't that hard, but it certainly was a lot easier.

- Robert McIntosh