avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IOC policies
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:55:51 GMT

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>>
>>Are you saying that you have a Component that implements the
>>"Containment" pattern (as I dubbed it), meaning that you have
>>developed a component that also happens to be a container?
>>

>I have though about this, and basically come up with one little
>issue: We have so far assumed that service dependencies can be
>declared at a Type level - i.e. it is a property of the component
>itself, and not something that is configurable.

A container can be a type of component - i.e. deps can be configured.

>However, if the component is a container, the sub-components
>inside it may have dependencies that cannot be satisfied by
>sub-components but must be provided to the container-component
>by its container.
>
>This use case, where the dependencies of a component is determined
>by the components inside it, isn't accounted for.

Checkout the Merlin notion of a Block .. it handles the notion of
container as component, depedencies that the container type has on its
own deployment, management of the assembly of components it contains,
and will shortly provide dynamic exposure of services under its role as
a component.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell