avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Release Plan] Excalibur (Phase I)
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:29:56 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> In order to get Excalibur Component out the door, which shares many of
>>> the utils that Fortress uses, we need to get the following projects
>>> released immediately following Framework:
>>>
>>> Instrument
>>> Instrument-Manager
>>> Logger
>>> Pool
>>> i18n
>>> AltRMI
>>>
>>> So far, Pool, I18N, and Logger have been released before.  Instrument
>>> and Instrument Manager are both things that need an initial release.
>>

>> I would like to take some time to go through instrument and do "QA".
>>
>>> We have a soft dependency on AltRMI, so we can opt to push that
>>> release later if necessary.  Paul how do you feel about getting
>>> an AltRMI release out?
>>

>> it looks like AltRMI is indeed getting a new home @ incubator
>> (whoohooh!). In the light of that, I suggest we don't release any
>> altrmi packages with a status other than alpha.
>>
>>> We cannot mark Component as deprecated until Fortress is released.
>>> When Fortress is released, we should also release a new ECM where all
>>> the classes are deprecated in favor of the Fortress version.
>>

>> +1. Which no-one will ever use of course ;)
>

> Just a note - I don't think the release of Fortress automatically
> implies the deprecation of ECM. In fact I think there are some
> preconditions to deprication of ECM that will not exist immediately -
> namely migration tools.  As I understand things - the meta model used in
> ECM and Fortress is not exactly the same (roles + conf files, etc.) and
> this suggests that tools should bbe provided to automate converstion -
> secondly, will ECM components run without modification in Fortress is a
> ECM adapted fortress?  When such a scenario is in place and validated -
> then - we have a valid rationale for deprecation.

All ECM components will work without modification in Fortress.  Even
better, Fortress allows components that were written for different
environments originally to interoperate without problems.  This has
to do with the smarter handling of the ROLE name than ECM.  It is
still not as elegant as Merlin's mappings, but it is a definite
step in the right direction.

The XCM project does provide the migration of the configuration and
roles files--which is a good thing.

However, we need to make a release of that before we can think about
deprecating ECM.