avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Release Plan] Excalibur (Phase I)
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:23:09 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>> We have a soft dependency on AltRMI, so we can opt to push that
>>> release later if necessary.  Paul how do you feel about getting
>>> an AltRMI release out?
>>

>> it looks like AltRMI is indeed getting a new home @ incubator
>> (whoohooh!). In the light of that, I suggest we don't release any
>> altrmi packages with a status other than alpha.
>

> The dependency is very soft.  It does not have to be included at all,
> although we can have Instrument-Manager released with the "experimental"
> feature (which seems pretty stable BTW).  As long as it is marked that
> way, we should be OK.  If AltRMI is not in the classpath, the standard
> transport is always available.

Can you explain the notion of "soft"?

As I undertand things you can build and deploy using the Instrument
package - but to do anything with this you need an instument manager
which talks to an instrument client. If code includes the instrument
manager then currently that means a *hard* dependency on AltRMI.
 Fortress has a hard dependency on Instrument Manager therefor it has a
hard dependecy on AltRMI.

Is this correct or not?

Cheere, Steve.

--