avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release LogKit 1.2
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 05:03:05 GMT

Berin - I'm assuming this isn't a vote for release (as per subject) but
is a vote on the issue relating the the listener (as per cmessage
content).  Personally I havn't had a chance to check the code in
question and would like to do that before voting on the listener issue.
 In the meantime there are some code changes to logkit (checkstyle
stuff) I would like to put in place - in fact I'm working on that at the
moment - should have updates though in a couple of hours.

Cheers, Steve.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The current LogKit 1.2 release candidate 3 distributed at
> http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/logkit-dist/
>
> has been up and no problems reported for a couple of days.
>
> There is only one potential obstacle in the way of a release:
> and that is the LoggerListener functionality.  The only way
> to get this to rest is to make a vote on it.
>
> * Keep current LoggerListener functionality AS IS (unicast).
>   - Allows for immediate release of LogKit 1.2
>
> * Change LoggerListener functionality to multicast.
>   - Delays release, requires more validation
>
> * Back out LoggerListener functionality for a future version.
>   - Allows for immediate release of LogKit 1.2
>

> Here are the facts concerning the matter:
>
> * LoggerListener has use as a way of validating the logging
>   framework (i.e. testing purposes)
>
> * LoggerListener exposes functionality to containers, not
>   components.
>   - Logger is abstracted in Avalon Framework
>   - It is set in the Heirarchy
>   - No existing component will use it because it is new.
>
> * We have no clear *need* for multicast LoggerListeners.
>
> * Exceptions are messy in Logging frameworks because we
>   need to track them.
>   - Exceptions are only going to happen at setup time,
>     not at run time.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net