avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Release LogKit 1.2
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:36:40 GMT
The current LogKit 1.2 release candidate 3 distributed at
http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/logkit-dist/

has been up and no problems reported for a couple of days.

There is only one potential obstacle in the way of a release:
and that is the LoggerListener functionality.  The only way
to get this to rest is to make a vote on it.

* Keep current LoggerListener functionality AS IS (unicast).
   - Allows for immediate release of LogKit 1.2

* Change LoggerListener functionality to multicast.
   - Delays release, requires more validation

* Back out LoggerListener functionality for a future version.
   - Allows for immediate release of LogKit 1.2

Here are the facts concerning the matter:

* LoggerListener has use as a way of validating the logging
   framework (i.e. testing purposes)

* LoggerListener exposes functionality to containers, not
   components.
   - Logger is abstracted in Avalon Framework
   - It is set in the Heirarchy
   - No existing component will use it because it is new.

* We have no clear *need* for multicast LoggerListeners.

* Exceptions are messy in Logging frameworks because we
   need to track them.
   - Exceptions are only going to happen at setup time,
     not at run time.