avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Discontinue Excalibur CLI ( was Re: [£EXCALIBUR] cli )
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 23:00:46 GMT
Stephen,

>> The build file refers to Commons Logging... though I am not sure if
>> the java code does...
>

> There are no references to commons logging in the build or test
> sources in Common CLI.  I figure this is just an error in the buildfile.

It does raise an interesting point though : we sit here _petrified_ that
they might put in a dependancy to commons-logging at the drop of a hat.

See
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/attributes/src/java/org/apache/commons/attributes/Attributes.java

(v1.3) for trivial use of logging :

    } catch (Exception e) {
       logger.warn("failed to initialize specified implementation " +
               "of AttributeFinder, using default", e);
    }

At any moment, any Commons package may use commons-logging.
They just do not understand how we want instance-capable logging
rather than term/class level logging.

Anyway, these days I choose a wisdom of soloman type of
solution - 'no logging' . . . monitor instead (for reusable beans).

There are those that love static, and those that hate it..

- Paul