avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re-precating (?) classes (was: RE: What is a Parser?)
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 22:31:41 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> Why do you deprecate something?

When we recommend that something is not used anymore, as is the case
with Java API deprecation. It also means that we won't support it in the
future.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/misc/deprecation/deprecation.html

> Why *deprecate* Component and related items?  Is there a reason not to use
> Component, or is it just better to be able to use an Object that is not a
> Component?

In the Java API methods are deprecated even only when there is a name
chenge (ie the addition of a set* to names).
The fact that it is better to be able to use an object directly is a
sufficient reason for deprecation.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -