avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Public domain packages ( was Re: [A4] release plan thoughts )
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 21:24:03 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Stephen McConnell wrote:

>>> Also - what/where are the license details related to the Concurrency
>>> package?
>>

>> Public domain.  (I.e. no license, no control).
>

> Hmmm...
>
> I don't think we can use packages with no license at all. IANAL, but
> wouldn't it mean that no license == no grant of use? But actually it's
> in the public domain, so it would be ridiculous that the author
> doesn't it want to be used.

I had the same thoughts. I'm not happy with depedencies on something
that does not have a license.  I would prefer that we took the content,
repackaged it under the org.apache.avalon.something namespace and issued
a release under the Apache license.

> Can we rely on public domain packages and put them in CVS?

I would like to get a higher opinion on this - Sam?, Greg?

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org