avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Use Maven as official build tool
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:35:14 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> Maven is very very kool. I have been using it for a bit and love it.
>> I just saw a change go in that makes it possible to change reports
>> displayed too - yaya!
>>
>> However I don't think it should be our primary build tool till post
>> maven-b8 release. We can add in b7 project.xmls but I would prefer to
>> keep the current build.xmls around until the future.
>

> Previously, I had asked that the maven descriptor in the avalon CVS
> not be in the main dir, not to confuse our users.
>
> But as I now understand from this mail, it's also possible that we
> just don't include it in the releases.
>
> I'm against using any non-released buildtool in releases.
>
> But given that there is much discussion on things that developers
> don't even know what is about, I think it's in the best interest of
> all Avalon that build tools alternative to Ant are included in the
> correct places in our projects so that all developers can evaluate
> them and decide on merit rather than feeling.
>
> This of course also means that we accept the POMs from Jason, and can
> commit any other build system too for comparative evaluation.
>
> What do you guys think, is this reasonable?

A couple of things here.

First of all - I would love to be able to see a comparison. Can you
point me to a Java project at Apache using Centerpede for project
management?  Secondly, I don't want to see Jason's 20 POMs committed
(they a minimal and don't address thinigs like test cases and some of
the annomolies in some of the Avalon projects).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org