avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Stein" <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: maven-style repository for avalon stuff?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:51:21 GMT
In article <b30m7c$ofl$1@main.gmane.org>, "Leo Simons"
<leosimons@apache.org> wrote:
> so would it make sense to have http://avalon.apache.org/repository
> contain the avalon jars & dists? It is probably easy as hell for the
> maven peeps to do a
>
>      ssh daedalus.apache.org
>      cd /www/avalon.apache.org/repository
>      scp -r * wherever_it_goes_on_ibiblio
>
> on request, so that ibiblio can remain the primary point of
> distribution.

Please note that the Board wants to see ASF-operated hardware as the
only, definitive point of distribution. Other sites are free to
*re*distribute, but the primary point should be from an ASF box.

(today, that means icarus, daedalus, or nagoya; I believe the Maven folk
have some boxen at rackspace.com; when that gets a foo.apache.org name,
and the infrastructure people assume some level of admin capability over
it, then that can be another distro point)

> All this just temporarily until the infrastructure peeps
> and the peeps looking at a common repository hammer out something more
> solid.

Maybe this statement is that you see ibibilio as temporary? Not sure how
to read it, but non-ASF-box distribution should be considered a bug to fix
asap, rather than a temporary solution. The ASF shouldn't participate or
condone actions or policies which (potentially) violate software
licenses.

Thx,
-g

--