avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: maven-style repository for avalon stuff?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:55:04 GMT
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:14:08PM -0500, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 19:51, Greg Stein wrote:
> > In article <b30m7c$ofl$1@main.gmane.org>, "Leo Simons"
> > <leosimons@apache.org> wrote:
> > > on request, so that ibiblio can remain the primary point of
> > > distribution.
> >
> > Please note that the Board wants to see ASF-operated hardware as the
> > only, definitive point of distribution. Other sites are free to
> > *re*distribute, but the primary point should be from an ASF box.
>
> I think this needs to be discussed and shouldn't be unilaterally
> dictated by the board. I think Ibiblio is a valid location ASF
> artifacts.

Absolutely, it is a valid location. But it is NOT a valid location for the
"primary point of distribution." All ASF software should be distributed from
ASF hardware (meaning: hardware under the ASF's control; most of it is
actually owned by others). If ibiblio wants to mirror our distro point, then
fine. Lots of people do that; it's why we have rsync installed.

Part of our job is to ensure the authenticity of the software that we
deliver to our users. This is predicated on using our hardware to provide
the right kinds of security and guarantees.

> Part of their mandate is to help proliferate OSS software.
> They are secure and using them would alleviate an enormous amount of
> bandwidth from Apache. If all our artifacts were put there imagine the
> savings on hardware and bandwidth costs. Are we up in the TB area? How
> much of this is distributions? Could we not strike an agreement with
> Ibiblio? They've got the horsepower and they are willing to share it.

I don't see why we need to do anything. Distribute from daedalus. Ibiblio
can rsync it over. What more is needed?

Let me turn this around: why the heck are we pushing so hard for ibiblio?
Why is daedalus insufficient?

Cheers,
-g

--