avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Sevak moves to Incubator.
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:23:33 GMT
Nicola,

> > It may be that it is best to keep the API here in Avalon components (ultimately),
and move
> > implementations to SourceForge.  Effort should be made to make sure we do not have
license
> issue
> > (policy on this has been set).  Jo! at least is LGPL - it _has_ to go.  Jetty is
some other
> highly
> > propritary license that may cause issue.  We should also make sure the it can run
in as many
> > containers as possible - but make not guarantee based on the fact that each impl
is really
> only
> > wrapping the services of some other server.  Sometimes it's quite an effort to subvert
the
> other
> > container.
> >
> > Maybe the idea should be that :
> >
> > 1) org.apache.sevak (API)
> >
> > 2) org.apache.sevak.catalina (Catalina, Apache license, hosted here)
>
> +1  it seems it's really The Right Thing.

It does doesn't it.

> > 3) net.sourceforge.jettysevak (Jetty & Mortbay's license)
> >
> > 4) net.sourceforge.josevak (Jo! & LGPL
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Aren't Jo and Jetty interesting in keeping them (and we in having them
> there)?
> If not, I'd do simply a sevak.sf.net with jo and jetty.

I don't know.  I am a committer on the Jo! project (but behave very deferently). I know the
guys
who write Jetty in email and F2F, so could maybe persuade them to make new modules or sign
me up.

As for the single SourceForge project - yes it is better than two despite two licenses - we
could
have two modules and two Maven <cough cough/> Centipede scripts.

- Paul