avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <jaaronf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Public domain packages ( was Re: [A4] release plan thoughts )
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 21:40:59 GMT

--- Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > Stephen McConnell wrote:
> >> Also - what/where are the license details related to the Concurrency
> >> package?
> >
> > Public domain.  (I.e. no license, no control).
>
> Hmmm...
>
> I don't think we can use packages with no license at all. IANAL, but
> wouldn't it mean that no license == no grant of use? But actually it's
> in the public domain, so it would be ridiculous that the author doesn't
> it want to be used.
>
> Can we rely on public domain packages and put them in CVS?
>
> --

Perhaps it's not my place to chime in on this one and IANAL as well, but I
wanted to add some clarifications:

"public domain" is a legal term meaning "not copyrighted."  This means it is
free in every sense of the word -- there are no restrictions placed on it
whatsoever.  However, the catch to public domain is in the warranty clause.
All open source/free software licenses have a NO WARRANTY clause which public
domain does not carry due to it's lack of a license.  From what I understand
this leaves public domain open to lawsuits due to bugs.   You might want to
check the FSF site for some of their take on public domain.

However, someone mentioned refactoring EDU.util.concurrent to a different
package structure, such as org.apache....   As a user my only concern with that
is does it mean Avalon will now support the package?  Essentially this would
fork the code and util.concurrent is used by many applications in and out of
Apache.  It'd be nice if I didn't have to have one copy for avalon apps and one
copy for other apps.

Anyway, just some thoughts,
jaaron