avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: maven-style repository for avalon stuff?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:14:08 GMT
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 19:51, Greg Stein wrote:
> In article <b30m7c$ofl$1@main.gmane.org>, "Leo Simons"
> <leosimons@apache.org> wrote:
> > so would it make sense to have http://avalon.apache.org/repository
> > contain the avalon jars & dists? It is probably easy as hell for the
> > maven peeps to do a
> >
> >      ssh daedalus.apache.org
> >      cd /www/avalon.apache.org/repository
> >      scp -r * wherever_it_goes_on_ibiblio
> >
> > on request, so that ibiblio can remain the primary point of
> > distribution.
>
> Please note that the Board wants to see ASF-operated hardware as the
> only, definitive point of distribution. Other sites are free to
> *re*distribute, but the primary point should be from an ASF box.

I think this needs to be discussed and shouldn't be unilaterally
dictated by the board. I think Ibiblio is a valid location ASF
artifacts. Part of their mandate is to help proliferate OSS software.
They are secure and using them would alleviate an enormous amount of
bandwidth from Apache. If all our artifacts were put there imagine the
savings on hardware and bandwidth costs. Are we up in the TB area? How
much of this is distributions? Could we not strike an agreement with
Ibiblio? They've got the horsepower and they are willing to share it.

> (today, that means icarus, daedalus, or nagoya; I believe the Maven folk
> have some boxen at rackspace.com; when that gets a foo.apache.org name,
> and the infrastructure people assume some level of admin capability over
> it, then that can be another distro point)

There's no way we could afford the bandwidth. We plan on using it for
housing the admin app which will forward submitted artifacts to the
central repo but we would just get slaughtered.

> > All this just temporarily until the infrastructure peeps
> > and the peeps looking at a common repository hammer out something more
> > solid.
>
> Maybe this statement is that you see ibibilio as temporary? Not sure how
> to read it, but non-ASF-box distribution should be considered a bug to fix
> asap, rather than a temporary solution. The ASF shouldn't participate or
> condone actions or policies which (potentially) violate software
> licenses.

The whole repository has been audited now, there isn't a single
violation. Dion Gillard saw to that personally going through every
artifact on Ibiblio.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl