avalon-dev mailing list archives

From dvilleval...@phpapp.org
Subject Re: Assembly and meta stuff released ??
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:49:16 GMT
(Berin, i just want to help !!! I like the Avalon stuff and am not here to fight!)

> Short answer: when it is done.
> Longer answer: We have other things in the queue that we have to take
> care of first--and then we can focus as a community on those libraries.

As i understood, assembly and meta will come as the basis of Phoenix, Fortress
and Merlin assemblies ??? In something like a six month time frame. Am i wrong ?
So, what is still to be done ?

I think i will base my devs on this as i don't want to be container-dependant.
So i would like to know what parts have stable design and stable implementations
?? Which are to be leveraged and validated ??

> > * I can't find a clear recent road map for the whole Avalon project on
> the web
> > site. I know you are in the process to move to avalon.apache.org but
> maybe i did
> > not search enough. Do you have one ? What are the priorities ?
>
> We have one, but we have not put up the document yet.

Could you send it to me please ??

> > * When will the Component stuff be depracated ??? This seems to be a
> long while
> > this code is deprecated... The first time i looked for documentation,
> i began to
> > implement a Composable component. Is there a documentation update
> process
> > started ? Who can i join on this if i want to help ? What needs first
> to be
> > updated ???
>
> It already is deprecated.  All the rest of our documentation needs to
> be
> updated.  Hopefully, this is done and we can get Avalon 4.1.4 released.

Great! The version i got by CVS don't show this ? Is there a place in the CVS
where the framework is complete (apart assembly and meta) ? I could help a lot
on documentation as a start...

Question by the way: org.apache.avalon.excalibur.* is old design and
org.apache.excalibur.* is the new, right ??

> Avalon is used within servlet environments all the time.  In fact one
> of
> our more famous users is the Apache Cocoon project--which lives
> completely in the servlet space.

I did know for Cocoon :). But forget it, i will make my Context impl and it
won't be a great deal to run it on top of my servlet.

Thanks. Didier Villevalois.