avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Instrument package into Framework namespace
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:10:57 GMT
Jason,

a very good argument against moving it to framework level.

It would seem that we can only move it to framework level if
Instrument is a correct formalization of instrumentation -
which it isn't, if I understand your argument.

I see these solutions for the instrument interfaces:

 1. Don't move them into framework.

 2. Move them into framework, but *always* provide them in a
    separate jar. (avalon-framework-ext-instrument.jar or
    somesuch.)

 3. Move them into some org.apache.avalon.framework.ext.instrument
    package, always bundle in separate jar.

For now, I'm +1 on 2 or 3. Having the instrument package at a
framework level makes sense, dependency-wise, although not
from a formal POV, as you say.

Does any of the above make sense?

/LS