avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [GUMP] Build Failure - excalibur-xmlutil
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:17:55 GMT

> From: news [mailto:news@main.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Leo Simons
>
> I think it's important that all committers working on a
> project realize
> when they need to update the gump descriptors. In this case,
> the fix is
> to add
>
>           <depend project="xml-commons-resolver"/>
>
> to the project
>
>      <project name="excalibur-xmlutil">
>
> in
>
> jakarta-gump/project/avalon-excalibur.xml
>
> (which I've just done, and which is something people like Sam
> silently
> do for lots of projects whose committers don't maintain the gump
> descriptors very well). This is a common, simple rule: whenever you
> import a dependency into a project in one way or another, you need to
> also add this dependency information to the gump descriptor (and then
> always run 'ant gen' in the jakarta-gump base directory, and
> commit the
> change if there's no errors in the output).

Which outlines all that I think is wrong with GUMP.

 1) You can't try it yourself locally before committing.

 2) You have dependency information in several places.

 3) Building with gump is vastly different from just building.

 4) Building with GUMP is not a single command, it is a
    ritual.

When picking a build system, I consider these things (among others)
important:

 +  You should use the same system for *every* build. All the time.
    You use X for building on your machine, you use it for nightly/daily
    builds, etc. That way, you know that if it builds on your machine,
    odds are better than 99.999% that it will pass the nightly build.

 +  Dependency information is kept in ***one*** place.

 +  Easy to use.

Gump fails all three.

How is Maven in comparison?

/LS