avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [Excalibur] Release Path
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:33:39 GMT

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> What about merging this with Commons Resource?

That would be a good choice. +1 definitively.

> >>Naming
> >

> > Leaves Avalon - out of scope.
>
> Going where?  There is no clear commons package where
> this would go.  Any opinions?

Don't know really. I'm not alien to proposing a new commons
project - Commons/Naming or something suitable. Basically, I
see all our non-component projects either becoming part of
Commons or being the seed for a new commons project.

The Excalibur/Naming project does provide useful code,
it shouldn't be impossible to find a project with the
proper scope or create one. For Naming, I can imagine
a Commons/J2EE project, or simply a Commons/Naming -
extensions to java.naming and javax.naming.

I have similar thoughts about Monitor (see my [RT] on
layers.)

There is a need for something similar to C++Boost in Java,
and I think Commons might be that. A set of packages that
should really be included in the Java platform (much as
C++Boost should/could/may fills holes in the C++ standard
library).

(Check www.boost.org for more info about boost if you're curious).

> >>AltRMI
> >>AltRMI Registry
> >>AltRMI Server (IMpl/Interfaces)
> >

> > Leaves Avalon - out of scope.
>
> Essentially done.  It is in Incubator right now.

Yes, but we still have dependencies going a bit all
over the place...

> I started out with a separate replacement for Pool, which got
> merged into Event.  I prefer having Event not depend on
> Threadpool at all because the code has some bugs.  I prefer
> to use the better tested Doug Lea utils.

Given that util.concurrent is set to make it into Java1.5,
perhaps dumping threadpool is the best?

/LS