avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] CommonsLogger.java (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:31:24 GMT

> From: news [mailto:news@main.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Leo Simons
>
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> >> Leo, can we take this off the docket for now?
> >
> > yep. Will do.
>
> PS: vote dropped. Will revisited after release. vetoing my
> own proposal, in fact :D

Yep, that seems sensible.

Personally I'm fine with having the utility class in framework,
but I'm sceptical about commons logging for two reasons:

 1. The whole thing is tied to classloaders and their
    hierarchy. Given what the people at JBoss are experimenting
    with (replacing the CL tree with a lattice) I think this is
    *begging* for trouble.

 2. I agree with Paul Hammant that logging at the level of
    reusable beans is overkill - what if Java had been written
    that way, with logging in String and StringBuffer?

One could argue that we, as a framework, should support as much
as possible, and therefore I'm fine with the utility class. But
I'm strongly against a *dependency* on commons-logging, as
opposed to merely supporting it (as we do with Log4J).

/LS