avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] LogKit Release Plan
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:45:44 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> #1  Remove circular dependency on Framework
> The particular class that forces the dependency is an "Avalon"
> formatter that can handle the nested exceptions from Avalon.
> It is a hold-over from when we did a first release after we
> moved to Jakarta.  I think it is relatively safe to remove the
> class as it merely extends the correct version.  It has been
> deprecated from about the second release.
>
> +1 from me.

+1. Maybe we can release put some kind of compat.jar in with the
distribution that contains this class?

> #2  Maven integration for build
> -------------------------------
> The build is very simple, and nothing really major needs to
> be done.  LogKit's Ant build isn't problematic, so it is
> ok to leave it alone as well.  The question is before or after
> release?  If we cannot resolve the issue soon, we will merely
> make it after the release.

put maven in if you want, try it, use ant for building the release.
Don't include the project.xml in the distribution just yet. We can
probably do the next point release using maven beta8.

> #3  Documentation
> -----------------
> LogKit documentation is fairly sparse.  We have *something*,
> but nothing that covers all the features and how to set it up.
> The current docs are OK while we make a quick release, but we
> do need to put some attention into those docs soon.  LogKit
> hasn't changed much, so there is a good chance the docs will
> be good for a long time.  We could release now, and add docs
> as they come in to the web site.

no one ever really felt the itch to work on logkit docs, and no one ever
really asked for them either I think. I do agree there a bit sparse, but
it's okay to release without writing more docs first.

> Aside from a few Status changes, and the resolution of these
> issues, there should be nothing holding back the release of
> LogKit.

+1

- Leo