avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [Site] progress]
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:10:40 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm familiar with Forrest, so I can help with the conversion of some of
> the Anakia docs if you'd like, or anything else that needs moved to
> forrest for that matter.

that'd be real cool!

If you check out the jakarta-avalon-excalibur cvs, you will find a
cocoonbuild.xml file, and a cocoon.properties. This is basically our
"hacked forrest-like cocoon solution" from pre-forrest days. Various
excalibur subprojects use this cocoon installation to generate their
subproject website, based on the "document-v10" dtd (I believe it all
started as plain ol' docbook, and the Developing with Avalon paper is
still in docbook format).

What we need to do is upgrade those document-v10 docs to document-v11,
then basically install forrest for those projects (ie add a
forrest.properties and an &forrest-entities; to the build.xml).

We also have some other projects which use anakia, which might be nice
to get converted over as well, but my immediate concern is more getting
our own cocoon doc-gen setup removed completely in favour of forrest.

> Also I'd really like to see the "Developing with Avalon" documentation
> updated, but I'm not sure if I'm suited to do that.

Nicola is working on that I think. Maybe you want to coordinate with him
(nicolaken@apache.org); I'm guessing he won't mind you helping. The
first thing to do is to get the paper converted from the docbook format
to forrest format. I've got a hunch once that is done we'll get it into
shape quickly :D

>  I'm also interested
> in the "Avalon for Beginners" docs mentioned on the "Getting Started"
> page.  What's this going to be and does the author(s) need any help?

It's going to be removed in favour of your "Fortress Tutorial" :D
Basically I started a project called "Tweety" which was like a really
simple and transparent container. I came to my senses recently and I've
decided we should just make fortress transparent and easy to use ;). You
might want to harvest some of that stuff for ideas; it's in
avalon-sandbox/tweety.

> In general I'll help with anything I can.  I'm checking out the module
> from cvs now and I'll go through it over the next day or two.

way neat. All help much appreciated :D

cheers,

- Leo