avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A4:Fortress/Merlin] Coming to grips with terminology
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:14:28 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Take a look at the JavaDoc for Appliance at the following URL and let
>>me know if it's understandable.
>
> Stephen, that was not the right level.
>
> Although I think Leo's analogy was a bit overkill,

just a bit, eh? I really did enjoy myself writing it tho' :D Hope I got
the point across.

<snip>
> I've tried many times and I *STILL* don't get the difference between
> METAINFO and METADATA! Please, can we come up with some other names for
> them?
>
> I know that one of them specifies information specific to the
> component type, while the other is the component type information
> *plus* deployment parameters such as configuration.

FWIW, different terms are in use in merlin atm, I believe

Type <------ MetaInfo
Profile <--- MetaData

TypeInfo == Type == MetaInfo: all information associated with a
component that is defined during component development/definition time
but not in the form of javacode. .xinfo, .xconf, .xlong, .xblaat.
Basically .Net attributes at the class level.

RuntimeInfo == Profile == MetaData: all other information, usually
provided as configuration files, but potentially fed in through JMX or
another mechanism.

In a really dynamic system (I've been playing around :D), the difference
does not really exist, except that TypeInfo is loaded somewhere soon
after startup and RuntimeInfo at some point in time thereafter.

cheers,

- Leo