avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A4:Fortress/Merlin] Coming to grips with terminology
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:32:35 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> One of the issues that any Avalon newbie has to come to grips with is
> a new vocabulary.  Component Oriented Programming is similar in many
> respects to its OOP cousin, but there are a few terms that need to
> be understood first.  One of my concerns with the Merlin effort isn't
> so much the technology, but the overloading of terms and adding
> semantics that don't exist in other contexts.

+1

> We are all very clear on what constitutes a component.  We also are
> aware that they interact with a container.  The problem is the exact
> definition of the container.  I think we need to standardize on what
> we mean by that word, and leverage what is already out there.  That
> way we all speak the same language.

+1. Deja-vu feeling here though. You said that before, we talked about
it, nothing came out. How does one put it..."verba volant, scripta
manent"...:D

> Stephen, I am going to need your help one coming up with the proper
> terminology.

Hey Steve, you should try and explain the abstractions and
decompositions you're arriving at in merlin in the terminology of a high
school textbook (well, sort-of), with some pictures, diagrams, and
analogies. I'm guessing we'll all be sort-of agreeing much more then.

(I just read
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/merlin/dictionary.html again,
and it's 90% abracadabra. It feels like corba.org ;))

cheers,

- Leo