avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: http://avalon.apache.org/
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:22:53 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Thanks a million for getting this done.
>
> I would like to get some feedback and opinions about the Avalon webpages
> bacause I think now is the time to handle any restructing of approach,
> message, and so on.  I think the historical project oriented approach
> has left a lot of users confussed and has negivively impacted the take
> up on Avalon.  I would like to suggest we rethink the the subjects we
> are trying to comminicate and get down to some good old-fasshioned human
> engineering on our web site.
>
> I see two distinct "views" of Avalon - a "products view" and a
> "functional view":
>
> If I compare this with the old and current Avalon site I see total
> domination of of the Project/CVS view - Framework, Excalibur,
> Cornerstone, Phoneix, Apps, Logkit (horizontally and vertically).
> Content presention should not been driven by the CVS structure - instead
> content and structure should be addressing utility for the customer.
<snip>
> Thoughts?

Open source documentation is driven by the needs of the developer, not
the utility towards the customer. The need avalon has wrt documentation
atm is

- making lots of things explicit (like the term "appliance") so we are
no longer confused ourselves
- writing user documentation for our products. Ie, if you use a product,
how do you do so? Which features does it have, and how do you use those?
Where is the product heading?
- documentation on how our community and development process works (and
I'll be hopefully just referring to incubator docs when I get access
there :D)

You cannot get at functional view until you have a reasonably complete
product view. And the functional view is a bitch to maintain simply
because no-one ever feels like maintaining it (just look at OSS history:
it doesn't work). Even the "guidebook/tutorial" view (which is the third
one), ie "Developing with Avalon", is something no-one really feels like
maintaining.

So sure, it would be real good to have a 'functional view'. I just don't
see us maintain it (for an example of how bad we are at even maintaining
the product view, see
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/reference-containers.html. It
still links to a broken page on the OSM site, and has been doing so for
a long time now). What you get then is a broken functional view, which
is worse than none, especially when coupled with a broken product view.

If you are more confident than me, please do go set it up :D But I'd
rather have you invest that energy in product/guidebook view first until
that documentation is reasonably correct and up-to-date.

cheers,

- Leo