avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Avalon Components
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:25:11 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Leo,

hey Paul!

> I don't think there is enough merit to a copy/symlink solution, on the
> basis that it is only a move not a real rationalisation.
>
> We will be left with some comps using ...
>
>   org.apache.avalon.excalibur.*
>   org.apache.excalibur.*
>   org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.*
>
> ... packaging.
>
> Seems like we move depots forever......

my feeling too.

For clarity, here's my reasoning:

Somewhere in the future, I would like avalon.apache.org to only be about

org.apache.avalon.framework
org.apache.avalon.framework.impl
org.apache.avalon.container
org.apache.avalon.container.impl
org.apache.avalon.util (*)

* stuff like ContainerUtil, ConfigurationUtil, SaxConfigurationBuilder.
Not stuff like logkit.

with everything else we have at avalon currently moving to either

org.apache.commons.*

or

org.apache.*

or

org.somewhere.else.if.the.maintainers.want.it.that.way

and corresponding cvs module structure. Been saying that for a long time
now. This move Nicola's proposing is a baby step closer to that, and has
added advantage of him and others doing the move splitting up
cornerstone into new jars, getting the james people in closer, etc etc.

cheers,

- Leo