avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [phoenix] Turn on validation by default
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:17:44 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> > Can someone go in and turn on schema validation of configuration to
> > on by default.

Peter Royal inquired:
> Group, do we want to make this change to Phoenix? I'm +1 on it, it
> just has implications for all of our users in that they must create
> (at minimum) RELAX-NG schema to describe the configuration.

Which configuration file?  Consider James.  We have assembly.xml,
environment.xml and config.xml.  The former two are from you folks, the
latter is somewhat yours, mostly our configuration information.

Are you saying that we'd have to have a RELAX-NG
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/) schema for our
configuration elements?  If so, you would turn this on by default for the
current release of Avalon, rather than document how to do it, and discuss
the proper default for v5 based upon real-world feedback?

A James schema might be beneficial, and I asked about James ages ago, but
getting a schema done can be non-trivial.

What happens if the validation fails?  Does it warn or error out?  Have you
consider the impact on client applications?  For example, when someone
writes a Matcher or Mailet, they would not only have to write the code, they
would have to create a schema describing it.

	--- Noel