avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Null Pointer Exception starting James for the first time
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 16:04:00 GMT
Martin,

This is a known issue with Phoenix 4.0.1 and JDK 1.3.0.  I don't know if
they have yet found and corrected it, or if there is really even a Phoenix
issue to fix, but the problem does not occur with JDK 1.3.1 or later.

Yours is about the sixth such report we've had.  It happened to me when we
first upgraded to Phoenix 4.0.1, and to a couple of other developers as well
as a few users.

	--- Noel

cc: avalon-dev to give them some idea that this problem is cropping up
again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Woolley [mailto:martin@woolleynet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 10:32
To: james-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Null Pointer Exception starting James for the first time

Hi

I'm new to James and am getting a null pointer exception when I run James
for the first time (with the objective of forcing the sar file to expand, as
per the installation instructions). I've tried on both Linux and Windows
2000 and get exactly the same result. Results are pasted below. I would be
very grateful for some pointers.

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\james\dist\james-2.1
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\james\dist\james-2.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      c:\jdk1.3
Starting......

Phoenix 4.0.1

There was an uncaught exception:
--- Message ---
null
--- Stack Trace ---
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
 at java.lang.String.getChars(String.java:553)
 at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:402)
 at
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getValueAsIn
teger(AbstractConfiguration.java:68)
 at
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getValueAsIn
teger(AbstractConfiguration.java:87)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager.configure(MX4
JSystemManager.java:63)
 at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.
java:192)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupComponent
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:530)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupComponent
s(DefaultEmbeddor.java:507)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.initialize(Def
aultEmbeddor.java:200)
 at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil
.java:235)
 at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.startup(CLIMain.java:194)
 at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.execute(CLIMain.java:122)
 at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:102)
 at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:94)
 at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:46)