avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Install Question
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:21:48 GMT
Anthony,

> Using JAVA_HOME:      E:\jdk1.3
> java.lang.NullPointerException

Known problem in the Avalon code, before it even gets to James.  I am not
aware of a fix from Avalon, but will CC them on this reply.  Two known
workarounds:

 - upgrade to recent JDK 1.3.1
 - upgrade to current JDK 1.4.1

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Nolan [mailto:anolan@bigpicture.ie]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 12:03
To: james-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Install Question

Hi,

I am trying to run James 2.1 as an smtp server on windows 2000 professional.
The jdk I am using is 1.3. When I try run.bat I get the following exception:

****begin****
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   E:\james-2.1
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: E:\james-2.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      E:\jdk1.3

Phoenix 4.0.1

There was an uncaught exception:
--- Message ---
null
--- Stack Trace ---
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
	at java.lang.String.getChars(String.java:553)
	at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:402)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getValueAsIn
teger(AbstractConfiguration.java:68)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getValueAsIn
teger(AbstractConfiguration.java:87)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager.configure(MX4
JSystemManager.java:63)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.
java:192)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupComponent
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:530)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupComponent
s(DefaultEmbeddor.java:507)
	at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.initialize(Def
aultEmbeddor.java:200)
	at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil
.java:235)
	at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.startup(CLIMain.java:194)
	at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.execute(CLIMain.java:122)
	at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:102)
	at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:94)
	at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:46)

The log file may contain further details of error.
Please check the configuration files and restart Phoenix.
If the problem persists, contact the Avalon project.  See
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon for more information.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I need to get this working?

Thanks

Anthony Nolan