avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Avalon Components
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:12:56 GMT
Paul,

> I loved the multi container world.  I have two (Jesktop and EOB) that
> stand to be obsoleted in the stamepede towards uber.  If it works
> great, but I have my doubts.

  1) You are a valued member of the Avalon Community.  You
     have the ability to shape the scalable container to
     ensure that your existing Avalon applications work.

  2) Stronger statement: you, and the rest of the Avalon
     community have the responsibility to ensure that no
     Avalon applications are left behind "in the stampede
     towards [the scalable container]."

In other words, not only do you have the opportunity to make sure that
Jesktop and EOB can work, but the entire Community has the responsibility to
do so.  It would be unconscionable for the Avalon Community to leave your
projects behind.  If anything, I might argue that Avalon should keep
AvalonDB (and other existing Avalon apps) in a sandbox, and copy over
Jesktop and EOB, for the specific purpose of using them as real-world
validators for A5.  A5 needs real-world apps to make sure that it provides
migration through backwards compatibility, migration tools, and/or clearly
documented changes for component/application authors.

> We were having a great time with many containers and were only at
> the start of the container landscape.

I don't see that the scalable container idea changes that, Paul.  The
essential idea is simply to have lots of core code, and build the container
from components, with optional features as desired.

	--- Noel