avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/sourceresolve/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/source/impl SourceResolverImpl.java
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:42:57 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> In Fortress we were having problems.
>

> The issue was this:
>
> SourceResolverImpl.java implements Serviceable, where it used to
> implement Composable.
>
> When the change was made, the code was not updated to reflect
> that Serviceable components can have ServiceSelectors, not
> ComponentSelectors.  Fortress correctly applies this contract,
> where ECM might not.
>
> We have proper wrappers so that a ComponentSelector can be
> turned into a ServiceSelector--its just that it needs to be
> done in the container.
>
> The contract is (or should explicitly be) this:
>
> * Composable can return ComponentSelector or Component
> * Serviceable can return ServiceSelector or service (as an Object)
>
> No Serviceable should ever return a ComponentSelector,
> and vice versa.

Ok, I understand this - but what currently happens (in Cocoon) is,
we have for many components a ComponentSelector.

Now, you have a Serviceable component, looking up the selector.
And this is then a ComponentSelector and not a ServiceSelector. It's
not automatically transformed.

I wanted to change from ComponentSelector to ServiceSelector, but
failed, because I didn't found any usable implementation of a
ServiceSelector. Is there any?

Carsten